Do you prefer keeping things simple, such as writing your shopping lists on a piece of paper? But does a smart home where almost everything is automated sound appealing to you? If so, you probably heard about pool automation. It may be daunting, and you may think that pool automation is exclusively for your tech-savvy peers. But it’s not!
When you’re busy or away on holiday, you do not want to worry about your pool getting dirty. You probably can’t recall whether you closed the cover or turned off the lights. Pool automation is the answer to your worries. You can operate your pool even when you’re in a different location at the touch of a button. This is one of the perks of a pool automation system.
But you may be wondering if those advantages even apply to you. Is the system suitable for your pool? Is it too complicated that you need to hire a professional? And let’s not forget about the budget. You probably have all these questions.
So, should you automate your swimming pool?
The short answer is “Yes!”
You most likely use a smartphone for your day-to-day activities, from checking your social media and emails to looking up specific pieces of information. You leverage technology, which makes life more convenient than ever. If you agree with these statements, then pool automation is not as difficult as it seems.
Automating your pool is like controlling a smart home with a smartphone. The system allows you to manage everything, including scheduling when to adjust pump speed or schedule when to run the heater. The power is right there at your fingertips.
How do you make it happen?
You need a few very simple things:
- WIFI connection
- A reliable pool automation system
- A setup guide
That’s it. After following the instructions on setting up the automation pool system, you can have total control over your swimming pool – even when you’re not at home.
Why Should You Automate Your Pool?
The list of things that you can do with your pool without being near it is endless. But the main reason why you may want to automate your pool is your busy schedule. With not enough time in your hands, you probably don’t know how you can keep up with the regular pool maintenance tasks. The last thing you want is a dirty pool, which may already entail a lot of work when you find time to clean it.
Removing debris, operating the filtration system, covering the pool, or adding chemicals – these tasks require you to spend some time by the pool. But automation eliminates this requirement. You can control your pool using a central remote. Some apps allow you to manage the pool functions.
Pool automation can perform several things, so you do not have to do them yourself. It can:
- Turn off (or on) the pool lights in case you forget to switch them off (or on)
- Run the filtration system on schedule, especially if you will be gone for some time
- Clean your pool using the filtration pump, which you can have running a few hours each day
- Schedule off-peak use of your pool’s cleaning system, which is a smart way to save electricity
- Cover your pool when you’re away
- Switch the pool heater so you can use it even during cold months
It doesn’t mean that you always have to be on holiday to benefit from a pool automation system. Sometimes, on a lazy day, you don’t want to get up from your bed. You don’t have to. Just reach for the controller or your mobile phone and let it take care of your pool maintenance tasks.
Unexpected bad weather? No problem. You can immediately shield the pool by activating its cover even when you’re in your office or anywhere else.
Smart homes have become very appealing for many Australians. And if you are among them, you will surely enjoy having an intelligent pool in your backyard.
How Does Pool Automation Work?
If you’re familiar with controlling anything remotely, you know the system will require wires. The wiring powers the system, which is then connected to a switch or control. It can get a bit confusing, but you do not have to be an electrician to understand how it works.
An important requirement that you should be aware of is a reliable Internet connection. You can only have a smart pool system if your Internet has good speeds. We recommend at least 3 Mbps for both your download and upload speeds. When you’re accessing the pool pad or control panel, the location should have a strong connection to your network. You can check the speed and strength of your connection by testing it online.
The new generation of pool automation systems allows residents to connect their systems wirelessly to their home network. If you find Ethernet connections more reliable, you can also use the wired connection. A controller device will give you access to your pool 24/7. If you want an even easier way to manage the system, you can pick one that comes with its mobile app.
But the centre of your pool automation system is called the control hub. It is connected to the different parts of your pool, including the pump and heater. The control hub is also linked to the smart relays responsible for controlling other devices, such as booster pumps and lights.
If your pool automation system comes with a touchscreen control pad or panel, you will be able to operate every piece of pool equipment from it. The benefit of this pad is that it lets you control the pool pumps, heaters, and accessories even when you’re not connected to the Internet.
Many automation systems are specifically designed for pools. However, if you have hot tubs, you can automate them as well using the system. You may want to pick a brand that has control valve actuators. They let you switch from your pool to the spa using an app.
Tips to Help You Set Up the Ultimate Pool Automation System
Pool automation does not have to be so complicated. But here are some tricks that will ensure the system will remain functional for a long time:
- Safety First. Most people can handle software setups without a hitch. However, those who are not savvy electricians can make the whole task easier by hiring a pro. An electrician guarantees that the system is installed correctly. That way, you and the other pool users, as well as the whole system, will be safe. Additionally, professional service offers a warranty period. If something goes wrong, you can immediately have the electrician over to fix it. You could not do that if you worked on the installation on your own.
- Upgrade Later. You can enjoy your regular pool now and save some money to have an automated system later. It’s not a requirement to automate your pool after building it. If you’re not convinced about the benefits of automated systems for swimming pools, you can hold it off for a while until you are ready. Pool automation is different from underwater lights or waterfalls. You do not need to build it straight into your hot tub or pool. You can wait several months or even a year before adding the system.
- Research First. If your neighbour recently installed a pool automation system, you cannot just jump into the bandwagon without learning about it first. It helps to understand the parts that you would like to automate, such as fountains, cleaners, lighting, bubblers, and chlorinators. Pick the most important features for you and decide what you would like to achieve. When researching, don’t just pick the first product you see. Read user reviews and see what real people have to say before you pay for the automation system.
- Go Big. A complete intelligent automation system is the best choice for an existing pool. It does not require you to change the equipment you currently have just to match the system. If you have a limited budget, though, a medium automation approach may be a good solution. It allows you to enjoy high-quality pool water. Still, you will have to do some work yourself, especially with maintenance. Basic systems, on the other hand, do not have a lot of features. However, you will still find them helpful, especially if you only want to use timers and chlorinators.
- Stay Connected. Take advantage of the ability to link the system to your smartphone. That way, you can monitor your pool anywhere you may be using your mobile device. Several options are available for controlling your pool at your fingertips, depending on the program and system. Connecting your device to the pool will prevent unwelcome surprises when you get home.
If you love updating your home, you will appreciate the benefits you can enjoy with a pool automation system. It’s an excellent choice for those with a complex filter system, pool equipment, and other special features.